Guidelines for filing a complaint

The Office of the Family and Children's Ombuds investigates complaints in Washington state about agency actions or failure to act in cases involving:

To begin an investigation fill out the complaint form on this site.

We will contact you by phone or letter within 15 working days of receiving your complaint. The ombuds will review agency records and interview others as necessary. When the investigation is complete, it will be reviewed by an Ombuds team that includes social workers and attorneys.

If you believe an agency has placed a child or parent at risk of imminent harm—especially if a child’s safety is involved—don’t wait. Call our office and ask for immediate help at 1-(800) 571-7321.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect call 911 or contact Child Protective Services at 1-(866)-endharm or 1-(866)-363-4276.

To file a complaint by mail, print this form.

We will take further action if your complaint meets these criteria:

The alleged act or