Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility
The Washington State Department of Ecology Nuclear Waste Program oversees the permit for storage of dangerous and mixed waste at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington.
The shipyard is a home port for both active and inactive vessels, and is used to maintain, overhaul, decommission, and dismantle vessels in service of the United States Navy (U.S. Navy).
Dangerous and mixed waste is generated during laboratory analysis, on-site demolition, and from production work including removal and installation of components on vessels, on-vessel and off-vessel repair of components, and the decommissioning and dismantling of vessels.
The Permittees are the U.S. Navy as owner and the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility (PSNS & IMF) as operator. The purpose of this permit is to allow PSNS & IMF to operate their Mixed Waste Storage Facility to store containers of mixed waste.
Issued in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Hazardous Waste Management Act Chapter 70.105 Revised Code of Washington (RCW), and the regulations promulgated there under in Chapter 173-303 Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
Permit Common Name: PSNS & IMF Permit
Permit Number: WA2170023418
Issue Date: March 18, 2022
Effective: April 18, 2022
Expiration Date: April 18, 2032
Permit Files – Change Control Log and Permit Conditions
Permit Files – Addenda and Associated Files
- Facility Description and General Provisions
- Figure B-1 – Topographic with Water Features
- Figure B-2 – Boundaries and Access Points
- Figure B-2.2 – Traffic Patterns
- Figure B-3 – Land Uses
- Figure B-4.1 – Water Control Systems (Northwest Quadrant)
- Figure B-4.2 – Water Control Systems (Northeast Quadrant)
- Figure B-4.3 – Water Control Systems (Southeast Quadrant)
- Figure B-4.4 – Water Control Systems (South Quadrant)
- Figure B-4.5 – Water Control Systems (Southwest Quadrant)
- Figure B-5 – Sanitary and Process Sewer System
- Figure B-6 – Solid Waste Management Units Map
- Process Information
- Attachment D-1 – Mixed Waste Storage Facility Drawings
- Attachment D-2 – Basis of Design for Mixed Waste Storage Facility
- Releases from Solid Waste Management Units
- Attachment E-1 – Declaration of the Record of Decision
- Attachment E-2 – Forth Five-Year Review