PUREX Storage Tunnels Closure Unit Group 25 (CUG-25)
[TSD ID#: S-2-1 and TS-2-6] Located in Hanford's 200 East Area, PUREX was the last and largest plutonium processing plant. It ran from 1956 to 1972, then again from 1983 to 1990. South of PUREX are two storage tunnels that hold discarded equipment from PUREX and items that must be handled remotely due to high levels of radiation. The first tunnel was built in 1956 and sealed in 1965, and holds eight railcars of waste. The second tunnel was built in 1964, and holds waste in 28 railcars.
Issued in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Hazardous Waste Management Act, Chapter 70.105 Revised Code of Washington (RCW), and the regulations promulgated there under in Chapter 173‑303 Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
Permit Number: WA7890008967