North Marina West End
A Puget Sound Initiative Site - Reaching the goal of a healthy, sustainable Puget Sound.
The North Marina West End Site is part of the Port of Everett’s Waterfront Place Redevelopment. The Site is located within the Port of Everett’s (port) North Marina Area between 11th and 14th Streets, off West Marine View Drive in Everett, Snohomish County, WA.
From about 1890 until about 1950, timber-product operations dominated waterfront industrial activities at the West End Site. The North Marina Area was filled to its current configuration between about 1947 and 1955. Since that time, the North Marina West End Site has been used for commercial, marine and general industrial purposes. Uses included trucking and marine construction activities such as welding, pile driving, sandblasting, creosote log storage and painting. In addition, there were a number of storage tanks for diesel fuel, gasoline, waste and heating oils.
The Port completed extensive investigation and cleanup of the Site uplands under Ecology’s voluntary cleanup program. An investigation to fully characterize potential contamination in soil, groundwater and sediment at the Site was completed in 2010. Primary contaminants included semivolatile organic compounds (SVOCs) including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and 1-methylnaphthalene, petroleum hydrocarbons, vinyl chloride and metals such as arsenic and copper. An interim action conducted between 2006 and 2008 included excavation and offsite disposal of over 40,000 tons of soil impacted by arsenic, copper, carcinogenic PAHs, 1-methylnaphthalene, lead, mercury, and petroleum hydrocarbons. The interim action also included cleanup of petroleum contaminated groundwater.
North Marina West End - 2000
Ecology and the port entered into an Agreed Order for Site cleanup in June 2008. The Agreed Order requires the port to develop an Interim Action Cleanup Report, a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study Report (RI/FS) work plan to evaluate the nature and extent of Site contamination, an RI/FS report, and a Draft Cleanup Action Plan (DCAP).
Key milestones are summarized below.
- The Interim Action Cleanup Report was finalized and approved in January 2009.
- The RI/FS work plan was finalized and approved in April 2009 and initial RI data (groundwater and sediment samples) were gathered between April and September 2009.
- An RI Data Report was submitted in September 2009 and was used to identify additional data needs to define the full nature and extent of contamination at the Site.
- Additional data collection (groundwater and surface water samples) was performed as part of a Phase 2 RI. Results were submitted to Ecology in May and June 2010.
- The draft RI/FS Report, DCAP and draft Consent Decree were sent out for public review and comment from July 5 to August 5, 2011. Public comments on the draft RI/FS Report, DCAP, and draft Consent Decree were reviewed and evaluated.
- The RI/FS Report and Cleanup Action Plan were finalized in August 2011.
- The Consent Decree was finalized and filed, along with the Cleanup Action Plan, with the Snohomish County Superior Court on December 9, 2011 (Cause No. 11-2-10367-4).
- Long-term monitoring as required by the Cleanup Action Plan began in January 2012 and was completed in 2013. Ecology will review the conditions of the Site in 5 years (2018) to ensure the cleanup has been effective.
View Electronic Documents
Site Summary Report
Facility Site ID:
Cleanup Site ID:
Everett, Snohomish County
Cleanup Complete-Active O&M/Monitoring
300 Desmond Dr SE