Get your first driver license

Get your first

Driver license

What you'll need

  • Your Washington photo instruction permit
  • Social Security number - last 4 digits
  • Visa, MasterCard, or American Express
  • Printer and/or email address
  • If you're under 18, your parent or guardian will need to be available to answer questions and certify that you've driven 50 hours (which includes 10 hours of night driving).

Will I get a new photo on my card?

No. We'll use the photo from your permit. If you want a new photo, you'll need to visit a driver licensing office.

When will I get my new card?

You will receive it in 2-4 weeks. If you don't get it within 30 days, please call us: 360-902-3900 or email

When can I start driving?

When you've finished, print your temporary license and carry it with you. This allows you to drive right away.

Login to License eXpress

Copyright © 2018 DOL