Hatchery and Harvest Priorities
Strategies for Recovery
The recovery plan proposes actions to reduce or mitigate the limiting factors and threats
to steelhead survival throughout the life cycle:
- Tributary Habitat: Protect highest quality habitats, maintain
existing unimpaired healthy watersheds, and restore habitat conditions
through passive and active measures.
- Hydrosystem: Improve juvenile and adult steelhead migratory
passage and survival in the Federal Columbia River Power System.
- Hatcheries: Improve hatchery management to minimize impacts
of hatchery fish on naturally produced steelhead. Supplement natural
production where appropriate.
- Predation: Reduce predation on steelhead in the Columbia
River and estuary.
- Harvest: Maintain low-impact fisheries, increase harvest
of hatchery strays.
- Coordination: Coordinate research and planning within
the range of the Middle Columbia River steelhead.