Representatives from both the WSCJTC and the Washington Animal Control Association (WACA) have worked together to provide a comprehensive class for the professional Animal Control Officer.
The 80-hour Animal Control Officer Academy will include:
Traditional Law Enforcement Classes:
- Criminal Law
- Radio Procedures
- Search & Seizure
- Court Structure & Terms
Animal Control and Care Classes:
- Capture & Restraint
- Dog Bits & Vicious Dogs
- Patrol Procedures
- State & Local Laws
- Blood Sports
- Wildlife Identifications & Handling
- Mock scenarios
- Final written exam
Prerequisite: The CJTC/WACA Animal Control Officer Academy is specifically designed for the professional Animal Control Officer. The Academy is held at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center in Burien, Washington. It is an intensive two-week course,with the curriculum instructed by Criminal Justice Training Center instructors and Animal Care and Control instructors. Students must currently be employed by a law enforcement agency and have, at minimum, a limited law enforcement commission.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Black Pants, Duty Boots or shoes. Polo shirts will be supplied. When there are gym days bring clean gym clothes.
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
seven Days prior to class.
- Fee: $350 for Late Cancellations or No Show.
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Monday - Friday
- Dates and Locations listed below
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
Revised Jan 2015