Firearm Patrol Rifle Instructor Course #2014
The Patrol Rifle Instructor course is a 40 hours in length and introduces the new WSCJTC Patrol Rifle Instructor Manual. This course is designed for the Officer who already exhibits above average rifle shooting/manipulation skills and will give them the knowledge and techniques to better transfer the other Officers. This course is NOT an advanced course NOR is it a remedial rifle training course for Officers with poor rifle skills. The majority of this training will be classroom training to develop the Officer into more of a Subject Matter Expert on the Patrol Rifle, live-fire range time will solidify the classroom training.
This Graduates of this course will receive specialized training on:
- Trouble-shooting carbines
- The use of optics and how to zero them
- Ammunition selection
- Rifle program justification
- Coaching techniques to increase officers rifle shooting skills
- An understanding of external and terminal ballistics and the factors which affect the bullet’s flight, and how to develop a departmental rifle program and qualification course.
Prerequisite: Achieve passing score on WSCJTC Level I Handgun Course.
A shooting test will be administered by a qualified Firearms Instructor of your choice who has successfully completed Level One Handgun Instructors within three years or a Level One Handgun Instructor who has attended an update if their certification is older than three years. Below you will find the Patrol Rifle Entry and Recertification course sheet and Essential Skills test.
25 Yard Patrol Rifle Qualification
50 yard Patrol Rifle Qualification
Patrol Rifle ESSENTIAL skill sheet
Note: Applicants who fail the prerequisite entry range shooting test shooting test (qual) prior to the beginning of the class, at a pre-determined site, will be removed from the roster without any charge.
However, Applicants who fail the prerequisite entry range shooting test (qual) on day 1, will be removed from the class and charged the full course tuition fee.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student:
- Agency issued/approved rifle with agency optics and iron sights or just iron sights, sling (recommend tactical), optional light mount. All applicants will bring a duplicate spare rifle in case of weapon malfunction.
- Spare magazine carrier (either belt or weapon mounted)
- Minimum of 3 rifle magazines.
- Dummy training rifle with sling (red or blue plastic – ASP or Ring’s).
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 pistol magazines.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun - ASP or Ring's).
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing).
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs.
- Copy of your agency’s firearms policies.
- One duty flashlight and one backup.
- Weapon cleaning equipment.
- BDU type pants with cargo pockets.
- Baseball cap.
- Body armor.
- Laptop and flashdrive.
- 1000 rounds for rifle
- 10 dummy rifle rounds
- 200 rounds duty pistol
Course Material: A link to the manual and the course materials will be given when accepted to class, approximately four weeks prior.
Cost: $500 Applicants agency provides ammunition.
Recertification: To retain your certification, this class should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the registrar via email
seven days prior to class.
- Non-cancelled “No shows” and failure to pass the entrance qualification will be charged the entire course fee.
- 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Course, and Registration Questions:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
LMS Help Desk |
Sacheie Coaxum |
Program, or Policy Questions:
Doug Tangen |
Revised December 2017
||Start & End Date
||August 05 -09, 2019
|Open / $500
||September 09 -13, 2019
||Spokane Police Training Center
2302 North Waterworks
Spokane WA 99212
|Open / $500
Non-cancelled no-shows will be charged $500
||Sep 30 -Oct 04, 2019
||Clark Co Sheriff’s Office Firing Range
902 NE 192nd Ave
Vancouver WA 98684
|Open / $500