The 80-hour Level I Firearms Instructor Course is directed toward law enforcement personnel who have a desire to become firearms instructors. It is intended to develop the necessary instructor competencies required to provide safe and effective firearms training. During this course participants will focus exclusively and intensely on the handgun while they work to develop instructor competencies. This course will also be recognized as a Handgun Instructor Course. As an instructor course it is expected that participants will have above average handgun manipulation and marksmanship ability. Participants should expect to invest time outside of class preparing lesson plans, presentations and range drills.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 magazines. All applicants should consider bringing a duplicate spare duty pistol.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun)
- Double-Action revolver, any caliber, w/ 2 speed-loaders & belt holster
- Two duty flashlights, or one duty flashlight and one backup
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs
- Review and be ready to discuss your agency’s firearms policies (will be comparing agencies policy to current law)
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- Body armor
- Baseball hat
- USB flash drive
- 1500 rounds primary handgun
- 100 rounds revolver
- 100 rounds frangible
- A minimum of 20 dummy rounds for your duty pistol
- A passing score, of 90%, on the entrance shooting test. Pre-qual and manipulation skill form.
- A shooting test will be administered by a qualified Firearms Instructor of your choice who has successfully completed Level One Handgun Instructors within three years or a Level One Handgun Instructor who has attended an update if their certification is older than three years.
- The firearm program will be utilitizing the program HP Flow to help in the distribution of course documents. The links will be sent out the week prior to class. Students are required to download or print the manual and handouts and bring them to class.
- Students must read and be prepared to identify components as the class progresses:
- Students are required to submit the following information with your application (either on-line or on the paper application):
- Make of duty weapon
- Model of duty weapon
- Caliber of duty weapon
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Cost: $750 Applicants agency provides ammunition.
Recertification: Level One Instructor Recertification Course #2015, is 16 hours in length and should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: 7 Days prior to the first day of class. Send cancellations to
- FEE: $750 for “No Shows”, late cancellations, and failure to pass the entrance qualification.
- Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- May be adjusted for a night fire shoot
Application Form: Firearms Application
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
Submit Applications to:
Course, Program, or Policy Questions:
||Start & End Date
||July 06 -17, 2015
||3230 Twin Bridges Rd, Richland, 99354
|Cancelled / $750
||August 03 -14, 2015
||Clark County Sheriff's Range
902 NE 192 Ave, Vancouver, 98684
|Open / $750
Non-Cancelled "no shows" will be charged $750
||November 09 -20, 2015
||Snohomish County Sheriff's Office Range
8915 Cathcart Way Snohomish 98290
|Open / $750
Non-cancelled "No Shows" will be charged $750