NOTICE: We are currently recruiting for FTO Academy instructors, with a strong focus in the SW and Central regions and on the peninsula. If you are interested in becoming an apprentice and completing the Instructor Certification Process to teach this class, please contact Tom Hill
206-835-7344. You must be an experienced FTO, have taken Instructor Development-1 (Course # 2001) and have prior classroom instructing experience.
This 40 hour course presents the FTO model (sometimes called the San Jose Model program) to field trainers engaged in training those who have recently completed the BLEA, Corrections or Equivalency academies. This program can be adapted for telecommunicates and others, but the materials used in this class will be law enforcement and corrections personnel related. Classes have a maximum of 24 students. Topics include:
- The composition and components of the FTO program
- Adult learning theories, principles and styles
- Developing and presenting lesson materials
- The Coach-Pupil Method of instruction
- Duties and responsibilities of program personnel
- Use of evaluation tools (DOR, SEG)
Prerequisite: Employment as a field trainer
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
This e-mail address is being