This course will give current firearm’s instructors the knowledge and skills of shotgun operation in both Lethal and Less-Lethal applications. This course is not ammunition specific, but rather, familiarizes officers with the variety of lethal ammunition options, less-lethal munitions options, and tactics currently used during LE operations. Applicants who fail the prerequisite entry range skills test will be removed from the class on the morning of the first day and charged the full course tuition fee.
This class is 40 hours in length. Graduates will be able to teach safe-handling, manipulations, and firing of the shotgun.
Subjects covered include:
- Loading & Unloading.
- Less-Lethal options & applications.
- Methods of carry.
- Immediate action drills.
- Select munitions drills.
- Weapon modifications and accessories.
- Types of munitions.
- Sizing the shotgun to the shooter.
- Target engagement from 1 to 100 yards.
- Introduction to 37mm & 40mm Less-Lethal platform & munitions
After successful completion, students will receive a CJTC Shotgun Instructor certification that will be valid for 3 years; to maintain the instructor certification, students must complete a 16 hour Shotgun Instructor Recertification Course every 3 years.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student:
- Agency-issued/approved shotgun pump or semi-auto, with sling and side saddle or other spare ammunition storage device capable of being attached to the weapon. All applicants should bring a duplicate spare shotgun. NOTE – a pump-action shotgun is required for Less-Lethal munitions.
- Weapon cleaning equipment.
- BDU type pants with cargo pockets.
- Baseball cap.
- Body armor.
- Laptop and flashdrive.
- 10 dummy shotgun rounds
- 50 rounds of agency-issued Less-Lethal Impact munitions
- 500 rounds of 00 Buckshot
- 500 rounds of birdshot
- 250 slug rounds
- 50 rounds of practice ammo for duty pistol
Prerequisite: Must have completed the WSCJTC Level I Handgun Course #2011.
- A shooting test will be administered on day 1. Participants will have bill given two opportunities to achieve a passing score.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Recertification: Shotgun Instructor Recertification Course #2024, is 8 hours in length and should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: 7 Days prior to the first day of class. Send cancellations to
- FEE: $400 for “No Shows”, late cancellations, and failure to pass the entrance qualification.
- Five days 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Please see below for dates and locations
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Course, and Registration Questions:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
LMS Help Desk |
Sacheie Coaxum |
Program, or Policy Questions:
Doug Tangen |
Revised May 2018
||Start & End Date
||July 08 -12, 2019
||Spokane Police Academy
2302 N Waterworks St
Spokane WA 99212
|Open / $500
||August 19 -23, 2019
||Yakima Firing Range
970 Firing Center Rd
Yakima WA 98901
|Open / $500