The 16-hour SIRT Instructor Course is directed toward law enforcement Master Firearms and Defensive Tactics personnel. It is intended to develop the necessary instructor competencies required to provide safe and effective firearms SIRT training. During this course participants will focus exclusively and intensely on the internal workings of the SIRT, while they work to develop instructor competencies. This course will also be recognized as a Handgun Instructor Course. As an instructor course it is expected that participants will have above average handgun manipulation and marksmanship ability. Participants are expected to invest time outside of class preparing lesson plans, presentations and range drills.
Prerequisite: Current Level One Firearms Instructor. The Level One Recertification course #2015, is a 16 hour class that should be attended within 3 years of certification.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 magazines. All applicants should consider bringing a duplicate spare duty pistol.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun)
- Off duty and concealed carry
- Two duty flashlights, or one duty flashlight and one backup
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs
- Review and be ready to discuss your agency’s firearms policies (will be comparing agencies policy to current law)
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- Body armor
- Baseball hat
- USB flash drive
- 500 rounds primary handgun (clean fire required in Burien)
- 100 rounds off duty and concealed weapon ammo
- 100 rounds frangible
- A minimum of 20 dummy rounds for your duty pistol. Metal casing with plastic tips bullets preferred. Instructors prefer no plastic dummy rounds for this course.
- Current Level One Handgun Certification.
- The firearm program will be utilizing the program Box.com to help in the distribution of course documents. The links will be sent out the week prior to class. Students are required to download or print the manual and handouts and bring them to class.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Cost: $200 Applicants agency provides ammunition.
- Failure of ANY tests will result in the student being be released from the course. Fees will not be waived.
- Cancellation Deadline: 7 Days prior to the first day of class. Send cancellations to
- FEE: $200 for “No Shows”, late cancellations, and failure to pass the entrance qualification.
- Saturday - Sunday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey.
Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Course, and Registration Questions:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
LMS Help Desk |
Sacheie Coaxum |
Program, or Policy Questions:
Doug Tangen |
Revised December 2017