Course Description: This eight hour Corrections Crisis Intervention Training (CCIT) course is designed to inform, educate and/or reiterate the best practices for dealing with detainees that may go through a crisis while in custody. The intent of this course is to understand, recognize, and discuss the techniques and skills needed for dealing with detainees and subjects in mental health crisis. Communication and de-escalation techniques will be presented for positive and favorable outcomes.
What is Crisis Intervention Team Training?
Crisis Intervention Teams (CIT) helps reduce crisis situations, improve safety, and promote better outcomes for situations without the need for force for detainees and people with mental illnesses. Officers learn appropriate techniques to identify, assess, and resolve these situations in a safe and efficient manner. The participants will be provided with the knowledge and skills to effectively deescalate situations and interact with detainees in mental health crisis. Officers who complete this training may also gain a better understanding for the importance of empathy and tolerance for people experiencing mental health issues.
- A decline in negative encounters with individuals in crisis
- Decrease in use of force incidents
- A Decrease in staff injuries
- An Increased collaboration and trust with both community and provider groups
Special Instructions #1:
- Corrections personnel will receive backfill reimbursement for their attendance at this training based on a backfill rate.
- Overtime/backfill is available for all agencies in King County only.
Overtime / Backfill Reimbursement
Who can attend our classes?
- Corrections personnel with priority given to agencies in King County.
Outside of King County? Email us at
if you would like more information.
1. There is no current requirement for CIT for corrections so facilities, institutions, jails, etc., are welcome to contract with WSCJTC for training. If agencies choose to do so, they will be responsible for instructor costs for an 8-hour course of $2500 for the day. This fee includes the two instructors and if the training site is over 50 miles from the instructor’s location, there will be additional travel costs at the state Per Diem Rates.
2. Benefits to agencies wishing to host:
- Instructors come to you,
- No travel incurred for students to attend,
- No room rental fees.
3. Agencies are not eligible to request overtime/backfill reimbursement for their correctional personnel if outside of King County.
Dress Code and Identification:
- Uniform, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for attending a WSCJTC class. Refer to the Student Instructions below for details.
- Visible official ID is recommended (badges or agency IDs) while on campus.
- One Day (8hrs)
- Dates Vary, Check Schedule
- Deadline: 7 days prior to class email
WSCJTC LMS – Please contact your Training Manager to get registered online via LMS for this course.
Registration status does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class, and you will receive a notice at that time.
Registration or Course Questions:
Interested in hosting a course or teaching?
Contact the program Manager:
Name: Bob Graham
Title: Program Manager
Rev Dec 2017
||Start & End Date
||December 18, 2018
20817 17th Ave S, Des Moines
|Open / None
**NEW HOURS 1000-1830**