CIT TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
RCW 43.101.427, also known as The Doug Ostling Act, established requirements for Crisis Intervention Training for all Peace Officers in Washington, The three main requirements are:
- All BLEA recruits must receive 8 hours of CIT training in the basic academy.
- All full-time, general authority peace officers must complete a minimum of 8-hours of CIT training by July 1, 2021.
- All full-time, general authority peace officers must successfully complete a 2 hour online refresher training each year.
*The bill also contains language recommending CJTC provide a 40-hour CIT class to 25% of all certified peace officers assigned to patrol duties. This is already available.
What does your agency need to do to meet these requirements?
- By July 1, 2021 you must show that all of your full-time, general authority peace officers have received 8-hours of CIT training (see attached page for descriptions of training that meets this requirement.)
- By December 31, 2018 you must show that all of your officers have completed the 2 hour online refresher training each year.
What is being done by CJTC to assist you in meeting these requirements?
- 8-hour and 40-hour in-service classes are being presented in all regions in the state.
- Reimbursement for backfill/overtime is available; CJTC will provide grants to agencies to cover the cost of sending officers to CIT training.
- Online 2-hour blocks of training will be available annually beginning July 1, 2017. Link to online course.
Who already meets the mandatory CIT training requirements at your agency?
- Any certified Peace Officer for the State of Washington who graduated on or after June 18, 2014 from the Basic Law Enforcement Academy.
- Any Washington State Patrol Trooper who graduated from Washington State Patrol Academy on November 19, 2016 or later.
- Any Washington State or lateral certified peace officer who successfully completed a certified 40 hour Crisis Intervention Training Program since January 1, 2008.
- Any officer who attended the CIT 8hr Statewide or CIT 8hr King County (MIDD) Training.
- If you wish to provide a CIT training please contact Bob Graham for more information.
If you have any questions contact:
Bob Graham, Program Manager
Crisis Intervention Teams, WSCJTC
Desk: 206-835-7302 Cell: 206-786-4401
Rev Jan 2018