Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a significant public health concern nationally and in the state of Washington. It is estimated that in Washington State alone approximately 15,444 veterans will be returning to their communities with a probable TBI. This, in addition to nonmilitary related TBI cases, makes the probability of a Patrol or Corrections Officer coming into contact with someone suffering from a TBI very likely. In addition, the symptoms and behaviors associated with this disorder further increase the chances that an individual with a TBI will come into contact with Law Enforcement and Corrections. It is of the utmost importance that officers learn to recognize and respond appropriately to individuals with a TBI and if possible connect them to appropriate resources.
This course was developed to train officers to develop resources and training so they can return to their respective agencies to present at role call and or in-service training opportunity.
Students completing this course will be able to provide basic training on recognition and response to individuals with TBI.
- The course is free.
- Agencies will be reimbursed at the rate of $750 per student, for the week of training.
- Each student of the Traumatic Brain Injury: Training for Trainers will be required to present the training at a minimum 4 times to their agency in the following two year period. Information on reporting in-service training will be provided at the class.
Child Protective Services Workers
Community Corrections Officers
Others may be eligible for reimbursement with written request.
Equipment Needed: Laptop with wifi capability.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visible Agency official ID is recommended (badges / agency IDs) while on campus.
- Deadline: If it becomes necessary to cancel for any reason, email
. If less than seven days prior to training a cancellation fee may apply.
Fee: $50 or course fee, whichever is greater.
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
WSCJTC Application Form (Word)
WSCJTC Application Form (PDF)
Submit Applications to:
Course, Program or Policy Questions:
Rachelle Wright, Program Manager
||Start & End Date
||October 12 -16, 2015
19010 1st Avenue South Room C-220
Burien WA 98148
|Cancelled / None
||Nov 30 -Dec 04, 2015
|Open / None