This day-long training is a “refresher” class for WA State law enforcement, CPS, prosecutors and child interviewers who have previously attended the 3 - 5 day “Child Abuse Interviewing and Assessment” or “Child Abuse Investigation and Interviewing” courses (CJTC course # 5357) sponsored by the WA State Criminal Justice Training Commission (CJTC), DSHS and the Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence.
Law enforcement, prosecutors & child interviewers must submit a registration application through WSCJTC.
CPS and other DSHS Children’s Administration professionals must register through the Alliance LMS System - course name “DSHS CA Refresher CAIA,” Course Code 110224.
The class will be taught by CJTC Child Abuse Program Manager Patti Toth. It will review and reinforce research-based best practices in child forensic interviewing and discuss recent modifications to best practices in child forensic interviewing. Specific topics will include:
- Changes in recommendations regarding truth-lie discussions
- Current best practice re: Interview instructions (or ‘ground rules’)
- Current best practice re: “Narrative event practice”
Note: This is a follow-up class to CJTC course #5357 and does not fully satisfy the RCW 43.101.234 and RCW 74.14B.010 requirements for specialized child interview training for those who investigate child sexual abuse cases.
Prerequisite: Course #5357 "Child Abuse Interviewing and Assessment"
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email at
- Late cancellation/no show fee: $50 for mandated (WA State law enforcement, child interviewers, and prosecutors) / $100 for Non-Mandated (out of state and all others).
Dress Code & Identification:
Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.