Add WSCJTC to your favorites

Main Directory

A | A

Welcome to the WSCJTC Private Security (PS) / Private Investigator (PI) / Bail Bond Recovery Agent (BBRA) Firearms Certificate Program. You must have a Firearms Certificate in order to obtain an Armed License from the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL). The WSCJTC is mandated to issue firearms certificates per RCW and WAC.   

All firearms used while working are owned or leased by the company you work for. No Firearms Certificates are issued to individuals who are not employed by a PS/PI/or BBRA company. If you are a sole proprietor, DBA a private investigator or bail bond recovery agent, or a security company principal, you can complete and sign the Firearms Certificate application packet(s) for your company.

Firearms Certificates are not for personal carry and are not concealed pistol licenses (CPL).

How to get your Firearms Certificate:

Companies are to visit the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) to obtain licensing information and application packets. Armed Licenses will not be completed without a Firearms Certificate from the WSCJTC on file. Visit the DOL for licensing information using the “List of Licenses” tab on their website.

Once you have applied for your Armed License through the DOL you must attend an 8-hour Firearms Certificate training class using one of our Certified PS Firearms Instructors Instructor Directory December 14 2017.pdf. Contact an instructor on this list that is closest to your area and set up a date with them to take the 8-hour training course, complete the written test, and complete your firearm qualification for every firearm you carry while working including long arms, if applicable. Instructors charge their own fees for the training and testing. All the forms and test Study Guide are in the Applications & Forms section below.

After you have completed the 8-hour training and passed the written test and firearm qualification your company must complete an application packet and send it to the WSCJTC for your Firearms Certificate (Application forms are available below). The tests are good for 6 months.

The cost of the Firearms Certificate is $100. Please send in a check or money order with your completed packet by mail. 

Once your application is processed your company
will receive your Firearms Certificate by email. The DOL accesses our Firearms Certificates database and they will check that database before issuing the armed license.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can a Firearms Certificate be used by more than one company?

No. If you work for more than one company, you will need a Firearms Certificate for each company. Firearms Certificates cannot be shared between companies, because firearms used while working are owned or leased by the company you work for per RCW. (To read more about this requirement please click on the RCW links: RCW 18.170.050 2 and RCW 18.165.060 2).

I have Firearms Certificate already and want to add a weapon to my record. How do I do this?

Complete and send in an Add/Change Form (Form 721) along with a copy of your most recent qualification on this new weapon. There is no fee for adding a weapon. We will add the new weapon to your existing record in our database. The forms are available below.

I hired an employee who has a Firearms Certificate with another company do I have to pay the full application packet fee of $100?

If the employee is only working for your company and has no break in service from the other company, you can complete and send in an Add/Change Form (Form 721) along with a copy of their most recent firearm qualification(s) and we can transfer the existing Firearms Certificate to your company. There is no fee for adding or changing an existing record. If the employee left the other company years ago, and then came to work for you or they are currently working for more than one company, you will be required to send in a full application packet and pay the fee.

Do I send my fingerprint information to the WSCJTC?

Do not send any fingerprint information to the WSCJTC. Fingerprinting is processed by the Department of Licensing (DOL), please visit this website for more information. 

What am I supposed to do to renew my (or my employees) armed license each year?

You will need to contact the DOL directly for information about renewing your armed license.

What am I supposed to do to renew my (or my employees) Firearms Certificate each year?

Once you obtain your initial Armed Certificate you do not need to send us any notification unless you need to add or change a firearm to an existing Firearms Certificate record. To renew, you need to contact a PS Certified Firearms Instructor from the list below and set up a date and time to have your employee take the 4 hour renewal course. Once your employee completes it, the instructor sends us a roster of who attended. Your agency keeps the paperwork and test scores, do not send anything to the WSCJTC for renewals. New armed certificates are NOT issued for Renewals. 

My company address and contact details have changed, how do I notify the WSCJTC of the change?

Complete the Agency Update on the 721 Form listed below. A 721 form is sent in for you and every employee to update the active Firearms Certificates on file. There is no fee for an agency update.

Applications & Forms:
(Updated 6/7/17)

1/23/17 - Important Notice: The online payment system is currently offline. All payments are to be submitted by check or money order.

Firearms Certificate Application Form 726: (Available in PDF, Fill-in PDF and Word format)
726 Application Packet Sample.pdf (contains all the forms you need to mail in with the fee)
726 App 2017.pdf

726 Application Fill In.pdf
726 App 2017.doc

Criminal History Records Check Form 723: (Available in PDF, Fill-in PDF and Word format)
723 History Check 2015.pdf
723 History Check Fill In Form.pdf
723 History Check 2015.doc

Add or Change Firearms for Existing Firearms Certificate Form 721: (Available in PDF and Word format)
721 Update Form Packet Sample.pdf (contains all the forms you need to fill out and email to us)
721 Update Add Change Form.pdf

721 Update Add Change Form.doc

Downloadable Firearms Certificate Tests, Study Guide, Instructor Directory, and Roster:

Firearms Certificate Written Test Form 731 731 Firearms Test 2015.pdf or use our Word version: 731 Firearms test 2015.doc (Revised 1/20/15)

Firearms Certificate Training and Written Test Study Guide: Please click here for the Study Guide.

Shotgun Qualification Test Form 728 728 Shotgun Test 2015.pdf or use our Word version: 728 Shotgun Test 2015
Handgun Qualification Test Form 729 729 Handgun Test 2015.pdf or use our Word version: 729 Handgun Test 2015
Rifle Qualification Test Form 730 730 Rifle Test 2015.pdf or use our Word version: 730 Rifle Test 2015
Rifle Qualification Test Form 730A 730A Rifle Test 2015.pdf or use our Word version: 730A Rifle Test 2015

WSCJTC PS Certified Firearms Instructor Directory: Instructor Directory December 14 2017.pdf

Class Roster Form 727 to be used by Instructors for Firearms Certificate Training:
727 Instructor Roster

Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Info (Form 720A)
Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Request (Form 720)

Still have questions? Please contact us:

Rachelle Wright, Program Manager

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it




Private Security Firearms Instructors Page

Click here

Revised 12/14/2017