Impact weapon Instructor is a 40-Hour class DESIGNED to train the participant in the safe and efficacious use and instructional skills of the MOST common type of impact weapons that are available to criminal justice personnel today; Expandable, Riot, and Patrol-carry batons, the Side-handle batons (previously covered only in course #2072) and Flashlights will be covered. The participant will learn and understand:
- The typical situations that allow for the use of the various types of batons
- The components of impact weapon use including:
- Psychomotor skills involved in impact weapon application
- Proper means of instruction and testing
- Theoretical background to analyze other impact weapon programs in order to develop agency specific programs.
Additionally the Participant will be aware of:
- The probable medical implications associated with these techniques
- Review the physiology of a confrontation
- Biomechanical principles of Impact weapon tactics and how they relate to instruction and force-systems implementation.
- Baton Nomenclature
- Baton Physics
- General Guidelines for use of Impact Weapons
- Baton Principles
- Baton Warm-up and Strengthening Exercises
- Standard Baton Techniques
- Expandable Baton Techniques
- Flashlight Techniques
- Riot Baton Techniques
- Conduct of Safe and Effective Training
- Testing, Open and Closed Impact Weapon Skills
- Students must read and answer questions for chapters 2-5 & 8:
- Sport Mechanics for Coaches
- Students must pass a written entrance test based on this text.
- As a result of the physical nature of the class, participants should be able to pass A physical ability entrance test consisting of:
- 35 6-count Burpees in 180 sec.
Prerequisite: Defensive Tactics Instructor Course #2076
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Recertification Course: Impact Weapons Instructor Recertification Course #2173--is 20 hours in length and
should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
7 Days prior to class.
- Fee: $50 or course fee, whichever is greater.
- 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Dates and locations listed below
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
WSCJTC Application Form (Word)
WSCJTC Application Form (PDF)
(The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is required for the PDF version)
Submit Applications to:
Valerie Jenkins, Registrar