Impact weapon Instructor is a 40-Hour class DESIGNED to train the participant in the safe and efficacious use and instructional skills of the MOST common type of impact weapons that are available to criminal justice personnel today; Expandable, Riot, and Patrol-carry batons, the Side-handle batons (previously covered only in course #2072) and Flashlights will be covered. The participant will learn and understand:
- The typical situations that allow for the use of the various types of batons
- The components of impact weapon use including:
- Psychomotor skills involved in impact weapon application
- Proper means of instruction and testing
- Theoretical background to analyze other impact weapon programs in order to develop agency specific programs.
Additionally the Participant will be aware of:
- The probable medical implications associated with these techniques
- Review the physiology of a confrontation
- Biomechanical principles of Impact weapon tactics and how they relate to instruction and force-systems implementation.
- Baton Nomenclature
- Baton Physics
- General Guidelines for use of Impact Weapons
- Baton Principles
- Baton Warm-up and Strengthening Exercises
- Standard Baton Techniques
- Expandable Baton Techniques
- Flashlight Techniques
- Riot Baton Techniques
- Conduct of Safe and Effective Training
- Testing, Open and Closed Impact Weapon Skills
- Students must read and answer questions for each chapter in the text:
- Sport Mechanics for Coaches (click here to view the book's information)
- Students must pass a written entrance test based on this text.
- As a result of the physical nature of the class, participants should be able to pass A physical ability entrance test consisting of:
- 35 pushups in 60 sec.
- 45 sit-ups in 60 sec.
- 1.5 mile run in 13:00 minutes.
Prerequisite: Defensive Tactics Instructor Course #2076
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visible Agency official ID is recommended (badges / agency IDs) while on campus
Recertification Course: Impact Weapons Instructor Recertification Course #2173--is 20 hours in length and
should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
7 Days prior to class.
- Fee: $50 or course fee, whichever is greater.
- 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Dates and locations listed below