Defensive Tactics Instructor course is a 40-hour class designed to promote effective and efficient use of bodily impact weapons. The participant learns the components of Defensive Tactics instruction and application, including the situations that allow for the application of this higher level of physical force, proper psychomotor skills involved in Level 2 force application, proper means of instruction and testing, and theoretical background to analyze other similar programs in order to develop agency specific programs. Additionally the Participant will understand the physiology of a confrontation, be aware of the probable medical implications associated with these technique, and biomechanical principles of Impact Impedance tactics and how they relate to instruction and systems analysis.
The subjects specifically covered are:
- Confrontational Physiology and Biomechanics
- General Guidelines for Reduction in Transmission of Blood borne Pathogens
- Pre-Attack Indicators
- Bodily impact impedance tactics such as strikes, blocks, kicks, use of the elbows and knees
- Edged weapons defense
- Use of the Impact Resistant Suit for dynamic high-speed training.
Prerequisite: Control Tactics Instructor Level 1 Instructor Course #2071
- Students must read and answer questions for chapters 1, 2, 4, & 7 in the text:
- Sport Physiology for Coaches (click here for PDF)
- Students must pass a written entrance test based on this text
- Students will also need to pass a physical ability test that consist of 35 6-count Burpees in 3 minutes or less. Please click the link for an example.
Required Course Equipment:
- Fully Equipped duty belt
- Inert-firearm carried on duty without live ammunition
- Tape for wrists
- Forearm pads
- Mouth guard
- Long-sleeved, lightweight shirt
- Level-one Instructor Manual
- Department impact resistant suit (e.g. FIST or Red Man)
Recommend Course Equipment:
- Focus Mitts
- Inert Knife
- Laptop with power source
- Elbow and knee pads
Recertification Course: Level 2 Instructor Recertification Course #2176 this course is 20 hours in length and
should be attended with 3 years of last certification.
- 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Dates and locations listed below
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
***Is this class full or not available????
Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
Phone: 206.835.7329 |
Course, Program or Policy Questions:
Revised August 2017