“Sudden and Unexplained Infant Death Scene Investigations" is a two day course for WA State law enforcement investigators, coroners and medical examiners who are responsible for investigating child fatality cases. The goal of the course is to help investigators become proficient in investigating sudden and unexplained infant death & serious injury scenes and to specifically learn how to use dolls for reconstruction photos and suspect demonstrations. The class will include several mock scene demonstrations. Captain Clay Jansson of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office in Pontiac, Michigan will be one of the featured instructors in Burien, and Major Connie Shingledecker of the Manatee County Sheriff's Office in Florida will be one of the featured instructors in Wenatchee. Attendees will receive:
- An "Investigator's Kit" for child fatality investigations (value over $150) that includes a high-quality patrol bag with special dolls that can be used for reconstruction photos as well as for re-enactments with suspects;
- The CDC’s Sudden Unexplained Infant Death Investigation (SUIDI) form; and
- WA State's "CPOD Guidelines for First Responders to Child Fatalities and Serious Physical Injuries"
*** Accepting all WA State law enforcement investigators on a 1st come, 1st serve basis.
*** Death Investigators from Coroner's and Medical Examiner's offices are encouraged to also register.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
7 Days prior to class.
- Fee: $50 or course fee, whichever is greater.
- 2 day course
- 08:30 am-05:00 pm
- Dates and locations listed below
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.