This forty hour course is intended for new telecommunicator personnel with 0-3 months of experience.
The course is a highly facilitated Problem Based Learning course requiring student participation and interaction.
We ask that all participants bring a copy of the agency mission statement with them to the course. These mission statements are posted in the classroom and instructors and students will refer back to them throughout the week as tie back various learning points that are included in your agency’s mission. The goal of this activity is to help make your mission statement (or values & goals) into a living document which ties learning and performance directly back to those statements.
The topics covered in Telecommunicator 1:
- Comm Center and E-911 System Overviews
- Current and Emerging Technologies
- AMBER Alert Overview and Information
- Role of the Telecommunicator
- Revised Active Listening Attitudes and Techniques Skills
- Revised Customer Service
- Group and Team Dynamics
- Introduction to Stress Management
- Introduction to the Incident Command System
- Revised Liability
- Call Processing/Call Interviewing
- Responder Safety
- Callers in Crisis
- Mentally Ill Callers
- Suicidal Callers
- Techniques to Deal with Challenging Callers
- Emergency Medical Dispatch Overview
- TTY/ADA issues and Dept. of Justice Recommendations for Equal Access to 9-1-1 Services
- Fire Call Taking
- Handling Missing, Abducted, or Sexually Exploited Children calls (APCO/ANSI standard)
(Recommendations only – please contact us if you’d like to have someone attend who has not had the pre-requisites.)
- Currently employed as a telecommunicator at a recognized PSAP in the State of Washington
- Bring a copy of your agency's mission statement to class (Landscape, 8x10)
- Pre-Course reading which is mailed to each student before class.
Who can attend our classes?
- Public safety telecommunicators employed at a recognized PSAP in the State of Washington.
- Employees from other call centers, government agencies or security departments will not be accepted.
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Monday through Friday
- Dates and locations listed below.
- If you are canceling your employee from the class, we need at least (2) two week’s notice before the start of class
- Student no-shows or cancelations with less than (2) two weeks from the start of class will be billed $125
- Materials must be returned from canceled student registrations
- The Telecommunicator Program will cancel a class due to low enrollment 4 weeks out from the class
||Start & End Date
||June 03 -07, 2019
19010 1st AVe S
Burien WA 98148
|Open / None
Amp & Directions
CORRECTED date (showing)