NOTICE: We are recruiting PTO instructors from agencies currently using this model. If you are interested in becoming an apprentice and completing the Instructor Certification Process to teach this class, please contact Lee Brandt
425-239-8322. You must be an experienced PTO, have successfully completed Instructor Development-1 (Course # 2001) and have prior classroom instructing experience.
Note: This curriculum includes approximately 4 hours of pre-class work followed by 40 hours of classroom training. Students successfully completing this course will be credited with 44 hours of training on their WSCJTC record. This courses updates and replaces Course #5600 – students who have completed Course #5600 are eligible to take this class.
This highly interactive course presents the PTO model (sometimes called the Reno or COPS model) to field trainers engaged in training those who have recently completed the BLEA or Equivalency Academy. This program can be adapted for corrections, but the materials used in this class will be law enforcement related. It begins with an introduction to problem based learning, which underlies the PTO program. Classes have a maximum of 20 students. Topics include:
- The composition and components of the PTO program
- Adult learning theories, principles and styles
- Emotional Intelligence
- Use and evaluation of journaling
- Duties and responsibilities of program personnel
- Use of teaching and evaluation tools and learning activities
Recruit training in this model focuses on the new peace officer's learning capacity and problem-solving skills as opposed to his or her rote performance capabilities, helping them to better apply their academy knowledge.
Prerequisite: Employment as a field trainer
- Will be assigned 4-6 weeks from course start date
- The assignment must be completed before the first day of class and takes approximately 4 hours to complete
For further information on this program:
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visible Agency official ID is recommended (badges / agency IDs) while on campus.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
7 Days prior to class.
- Fee: $50 or course fee, whichever is greater.
- 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Dates and Locations listed below
WSCJTC Application Form (Word)
WSCJTC Application Form (PDF)
(The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is required for the PDF version).
Submit Applications to: