NOTICE: We are recruiting PTO instructors from agencies currently using this model. If you are interested in becoming an apprentice and completing the Instructor Certification Process to teach this class, please contact Tom Hill
206-835-7344 You must be an experienced PTO, have successfully completed Instructor Development-1 (Course # 2001) and have prior classroom instructing experience.
Note: This curriculum includes approximately 4 hours of pre-class work followed by 40 hours of classroom training. Students successfully completing this course will be credited with 44 hours of training on their WSCJTC record. This courses updates and replaces Course #5600 – students who have completed Course #5600 are eligible to take this class.
This highly interactive course presents the PTO model (sometimes called the Reno or COPS model) to field trainers engaged in training those who have recently completed the BLEA or Equivalency Academy. This program can be adapted for corrections, but the materials used in this class will be law enforcement related. It begins with an introduction to problem-based learning, which underlies the PTO program. Classes have a maximum of 20 students. Topics include:
- The composition and components of the PTO program
- Adult learning theories, principles and styles
- Emotional Intelligence
- Use and evaluation of journaling
- Duties and responsibilities of program personnel
- Use of teaching and evaluation tools and learning activities
Recruit training in this model focuses on the new peace officer's learning capacity and problem-solving skills as opposed to his or her rote performance capabilities, helping them to better apply their academic knowledge.
Prerequisite: Employment as a field trainer
- Will be assigned 4-6 weeks from course start date
- The assignment must be completed before the first day of class and takes approximately 4 hours to complete
For further information on this program:
Dress Code & Identification:
- Casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear. Please no athletic clothing, tank tops, sleeveless shirts, shorts, torn jeans, or open-toe shoes
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
NEW 2017 COURSE RESTRUCTURE
- Deadline: If for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
7 Days prior to class.
- Fee: $75 for No Show or Late cancellation.
CJTC is piloting a restructuring of the course curriculum.
- New instructional format
- Four 8 hours days of instruction and learning.
- Digital Manuals and Reference material
- Pre-course work increased from 4 – 8 hours.
- Class will run from 0800 – 1700 all 4 days.
Students will need to bring:
- Laptop computer and charger capable of running:
- Microsoft Word
- Internet Explorer/Chrome/etc.
- Writing utensils
- Open Mind
- Dedication to learning
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
Questions: Contact LMS Help Desk |
Program or Policy Questions:
Revised July 2015
|Start & End Date
||Lakewood ||May 07 -10, 2018
||Lakewood Police Department
9401 Lakewood Drive SW
Lakewood WA 98499
|Open / $75