The purpose of the mid management level "Leadership in Police Organizations" is to provide a method for police leaders to:
- Understand and apply modern behavioral science and leadership theories that enhance human motivation, satisfaction, and performance in the achievement of organizational goals.
- Learn frameworks to organize knowledge and experience into effective leader actions.
- Integrate course content into daily leadership practices.
- Develop and achieve personal leadership to the fullest potential.
- Inspire a lifelong commitment to the study and practice of effective leadership.
Area I: The Individual System
1. Individual Differences
2. Attribution Theory
3. Expectancy Theory of Motivation, Goal Setting Theory
4. Equity Theory
5. Motivation Through Consequences
6. Motivation Through Job Redesign and Cognitive Evaluation
7. Effective Followership
8. Integration I
Area II: The Group System
1. Groups as Open Systems
2. Group Development
5. Decision-Making in Groups
6. Inter-group Conflict
7. Integration II
Area III: The Leadership System
1. Leadership as a Social Exchange
2. Vertical Dyad Linkage Theory
3. Situational Leadership
4. Transformational Leadership
5. Stress Management
6. Communications and Counseling Skills
7. Integration III
8. Assessing Your Leadership
Area IV: The Organizational System
1. Organization as an Open System
2. Leading the Environment
3. Shaping Organizational Culture
4. Leading Change
5. Ethical Dimension of Leadership
6. Integration IV
7. Putting It All Together
8. Practice of Leadership