The purpose of the mid management level "Leadership in Police Organizations" is to provide a method for police leaders to:
- Understand and apply modern behavioral science and leadership theories that enhance human motivation, satisfaction, and performance in the achievement of organizational goals.
- Learn frameworks to organize knowledge and experience into effective leader actions.
- Integrate course content into daily leadership practices.
- Develop and achieve personal leadership to the fullest potential.
- Inspire a lifelong commitment to the study and practice of effective leadership.
Area I: The Individual System
1. Individual Differences
2. Attribution Theory
3. Expectancy Theory of Motivation, Goal Setting Theory
4. Equity Theory
5. Motivation through Consequences
6. Motivation through Job Redesign and Cognitive Evaluation
7. Effective Followership
8. Integration I
Area II: The Group System
1. Groups as Open Systems
2. Group Development
5. Decision-Making in Groups
6. Inter-group Conflict
7. Integration II
Area III: The Leadership System
1. Leadership as a Social Exchange
2. Vertical Dyad Linkage Theory
3. Situational Leadership
4. Transformational Leadership
5. Stress Management
6. Communications and Counseling Skills
7. Integration III
8. Assessing Your Leadership
Area IV: The Organizational System
1. Organization as an Open System
2. Leading the Environment
3. Shaping Organizational Culture
4. Leading Change
5. Ethical Dimension of Leadership
6. Integration IV
7. Putting It All Together
8. Practice of Leadership
- Laptop suggested.
- Pre-Course work will be provided by the Port of Seattle PD prior to class.
- $1000 Per Person payable to the WSCJTC
- Due in full on Orientation Day
- Unfortunately, the WSCJTC does not accept electronic payments at this time.
Orientation: To be determined
Weekly Schedule: 0800-1700
Dress Code & Identification Identification:
Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Cancellation / No Show:
- Deadline: 7 Days prior notify the Registrar via email
- Cancelation Fee $1,00.00
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey.
Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
- Please contact your Training Manager to get registered online via LMS for this course.
- FAX Applications: 206-835-7926
Registration status does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class, and you will receive a notice at that time.
Registration or Course Questions:
Interested in hosting a course or teaching?
Contact the Program Manager:
State Wide Training Coordinator
Leadership Program Manager
Revised Dec 2017