Corrections Services Academies - FAQ

Please read WAC 139-10-210 in full.  This WAC defines what academy an officer must attend.

Requirement of basic corrections training. WAC 139-10-210

As provided in RCW 43.101.220, all full-time corrections employees in the state of Washington with the exception of the Washington state department of corrections prison division or of any city, county, or political subdivision of the state of Washington must, as a condition of continued employment, successfully complete a basic corrections academy as prescribed, sponsored, or conducted by the commission. The commission and the department of corrections share the responsibility of developing and defining training standards and providing training for community corrections officers employed within the community corrections division of the department of corrections. This requirement to complete basic training must be fulfilled within the initial six months of corrections employment unless otherwise extended or waived by the commission. Requests for extension or waiver of the basic training requirement must be submitted to the commission in writing as designated by its policies.


Frequently Asked Questions

(Return to top)

What Academy do I need to attend?

Corrections personnel must attend one of the following CJTC basic academy trainings according to their job function:

Misdemeanant Probation Counselor Academy (MPCA)

All employees whose primary job function is the case management of offenders under county/city supervision, to include: Assessment, case planning, counseling, supervision, and monitoring of adult offenders.


Juvenile Corrections Personnel Academy – Probation (JCPA-PRB) in combination with Case Management Assessment Process (CMAP)

All employees working with juveniles whose primary job function is the case management of offenders, to include: Assessment, case planning, counseling, supervision, and monitoring.

Juvenile Corrections Personnel Academy - Detention (JCPA-DET)

All employees responsible for the care, custody, and safety of youth in county facilities.


Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration Academy (JRAA)

All employees responsible for the case management, custody, safety, counseling, supervision, and application of researched based treatment interventions to youth committed to the care and supervision of the juvenile rehabilitation administration.

  • Each employing agency must determine the most appropriate basic academy for an employee to attend within the guidelines set by the commission.

  • An agency may elect to decline basic academy training if such employee occupies a middle management or an executive position, as defined in WAC 139-10-410139-10-510, and 139-25-110.

  • Failure to comply with the requirements outlined in RCWs and WACs will result in a notification of noncompliance from the commission directed to the individual employee and, as appropriate, the employing agency director, chief or sheriff, the chief executive of the local unit of government, and any other agency or individual determined by the commission.

  • Each agency employing personnel covered by RCW 43.101.220 is responsible for full and complete compliance with the above training requirements.

  • Additionally, each such agency must provide the commission with employment information necessary for the establishment and maintenance of complete and accurate training records on all affected employees.

What forms do I need for the academy?
After determining which academy you need to attend, use the Corrections Services Academies Application (Form CJ-1254) to make sure you have the necessary forms.

When do I need to turn my forms in?
Enrollment is done in the order applications are received. CJTC highly suggests that application packages are submitted as soon as a person is hired. CJTC cannot save spots in an academy for an anticipated hire. Application packages are all ways assigned to the next academy with openings.

What is the cost of attending the academy?
Here is a memorandum (PDF) explaining the cost-share implementation.

When is the next academy?
The Academy Schedule is posted online.

Can I stay at the academy during my session?
Academy recruits whose "home agency" is forty (40) miles or more, from the Criminal Justice Training Commission are considered non-commuting attendees. These recruits are therefore eligible to receive lodging and meal services provided by the WSCJTC, as outlined in RCW 43.101.200 (2). Recruits who do not meet eligibility requirements for lodging may request to be placed on "non-mandated" status at the time of application. Meal cards can be purchase separately and will be direct-billed to the sponsoring agency.

The WAC/RCW does not require my agency to submit a Notice of Hire/Separation; however, CJTC is requesting one.  Why?
Under WAC 139-10-210(4) agencies must provide the commission with employment information necessary for the establishment and maintenance of complete and accurate training records on all affected employees.  This means that when a corrections personnel is hired the commission needs to be made aware of the hiring so that records show that proper training has taken place within the timeframe set by the RCW.  Additionally, when a recruit for a scheduled class leaves their sponsoring agency, CJTC needs to be informed though a notice of separation.  This ensures that the academy class is kept current and that training records accurately show why mandated training did not occur.

Where can I find information regarding the PAT?
Here are the JCPA PAT guidelines.

How can I access my pre-course work for my class?
Please follow your class name for your pre-course work.

(Return to top)