Effective January 1, 2006, every peace officer certified under RCW 43-101-095 is required to complete a minimum of 24 hours of In-Service training annually. Effective January 1, 2016, every reserve peace officer as defined by WAC 139-05-810 will complete a minimum of twenty-four hours of in-service training annually.
All training records for WAC 139-05-300 must be maintained by the employing agency and be available for review upon request by an authorized commission representative. Documentation can be any format that works best for the agency. Many agencies purchase training tracking software or use an Excel spreadsheet. We have an Excel Training Tracking Template available for use. Feel free to modify the template. Certificates or documentation of completion must also be on file.
Declaration of Compliance Form Submission Requirements
The Declaration of Compliance is due to the WSCJTC 24-Hour In-Service Auditor on or by March 15 for the previous calendar year. An agency failing to complete their training audit and submit the Declaration of Compliance Form by the due date is non-compliant.
|January - December 2019
||March 15, 2020
Declaration of Compliance Form - 2018
Please submit completed and signed declaration forms via FAX (206-835-7926) or
All agencies who submit their declaration receive a letter and certificate of compliance after March 15.
Annual 2 Hour Online CIT Course Requirement for Mandated In-service Audit - WAC 139.05.300 (Updated 5/9/2019)
- The 24 hours must include the successful completion of the training commissions 2 hour annual online CIT course (RCW 43-101-427) for all certified peace officers & reserve peace officers.
- Please ensure that this requirement is completed between January 1 - December 31, each year.
- If your BLEA recruit graduated during the auditing year, they are not required to take the 2 hour online CIT course.
- If an Officer resigned/retired during the auditing calendar year, they are not required to be reported in the audit.
- If you need a report on who in your agency has taken the 2 hour online CIT course and who still needs to complete it, you can email
. If you need assistance with Acadis Portal login for the 2 hour online CIT course please contact
Downloadable FAQ About 24-hour in-service Mandate
24 Hour In-Service FAQ
Training counted as part of an officer’s 24-hour in-service mandate cannot be agency specific. The training gained must transfer with the officer and is useful throughout the office’s career.
Eligible training includes all sponsored and recognized courses offered by the WSCJTC provided by Washington State or our by federal partners (FBI, FLETC, IACP) as well as WASPC’s training day. Agency training on defensive tactics, blood borne pathogens, EVOC, Firearms and first aid, etc. is eligible. Training which are part of the core and elective requirements for Career Level Certification meet the mandate.
In addition, you can count up to 8 hours per person per year for Lexipol, however the topics cannot be agency specific policy or procedure.
All 24 hours can be in one course or any combination of WSCJTC, vendor or agency developed training as long as it is not agency specific. There must be a completion certificate or other documentation on file.
New Officer and Lateral Officers
If you hired a new officer or an out-of-state lateral officer who attended BLEA or Equivalency in the calendar year you are auditing:
- New officer with BLEA, no additional 24 hours
- Out-of-state lateral who attended WSCJTC’s Equivalency Academy (#0090), no additional 24 hours
If you hired a new officer as an in-state lateral officer in the calendar year you are auditing:
- You are responsible that they meet the mandate by the end of the calendar year;
- You can request their training records and use the eligible training to meet the mandate.
For assistance with your Declaration of Compliance form or any additional questions, please contact:
24-Hour In-Service Auditor