The CJTC / WACA Animal Control Officer Academy is specifically designed for the professional Animal Control Officer. The Academy is held at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center in Burien, Washington. It is an intensive two-week course, with the curriculum instructed by Criminal Justice Training Center instructors and Animal Care and Control instructors.
Representatives from both the WSCJTC and the Washington Animal Control Association (WACA) have worked together to provide a comprehensive class for the professional Animal Control Officer.
The 80-hour Animal Control Officer Academy will include:
Traditional Law Enforcement Classes:
- Criminal Law
- Radio Procedures
- Search & Seizure
- Court Structure & Terms
Animal Control and Care Classes:
- Capture & Restraint
- Dog Bits & Vicious Dogs
- Patrol Procedures
- State & Local Laws
- Blood Sports
- Wildlife Identifications & Handling
- Mock scenarios
- Final written exam
- Must be employed by a law enforcement agency.
- Must have at a minimum a limited commission.
A Criminal Records Check Form Form is required prior to class. completed and signed by an appointing authority of the applying agency. Per WAC 139-07-020 (2) (a-f)
Dress Code & Identification:
- Black Pants, Duty Boots or shoes. Polo shirts will be supplied. When there are gym days bring clean gym clothes.
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
- PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SHIRT SIZE ON THE APPLICATION.
- Deadline: 7 days prior to class notify the Registrar via email
- Fee: $400 for Late Cancellations or No Show.
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Monday - Friday ( 2 Weeks )
- Dates and Locations listed below
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
Criminal Records Check Form
- Please contact your Training Manager to get registered online via LMS for this course.
- FAX Applications: 206-835-7926
Registration status does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class, and you will receive a notice at that time.
Registration or Course Questions:
Interested in hosting a course or teaching?
Contact the program Manager:
Name: Bob Graham
Title: Program Manager
Revised Dec 2017