This Patrol Rifle Instructor course is designed for the officer who already exhibits above average rifle shooting/manipulation skills and will give him the knowledge and techniques to better transfer those skills to other officers. This course is NOT an advanced rifle operators course NOR is it a remedial rifle training course for officers with poor rifle skills.
- Applicants who fail the prerequisite entry range shooting test (qual) will be removed from the class on the morning of the first day and charged the full course tuition fee
- Applicants who fail the shooting test (qual) prior to the beginning of the class, at a pre-qualification site, will be removed from the roster without any charge.
The majority of this class will be classroom training to develop the student into more of a Subject Matter Expert on the Patrol Rifle; live-fire range time will solidify the classroom training.
This class is 40 hours in length and introduces the new WSCJTC Patrol Rifle Instructor manual. Graduates of this course will receive specialized training on:
- Trouble-shooting carbines,
- The use of optics and how to zero them
- Ammunition selection
- Rifle program justification
- Coaching techniques to increase officers' rifle shooting skills.
- An understanding of external and terminal ballistics and the factors which affect the bullet's flight, and how to develop a departmental rifle program and qualifications course.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student:
- Agency issued/approved rifle with agency optics and iron sights or just iron sights, sling (recommend tactical), optional light mount. All applicants will bring a duplicate spare rifle in case of weapon malfunction.
- Spare magazine carrier (either belt or weapon mounted)
- Minimum of 3 rifle magazines.
- Dummy training rifle with sling (red or blue plastic – ASP or Ring’s).
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 pistol magazines.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun - ASP or Ring's).
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing).
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs.
- Copy of your agency’s firearms policies.
- One duty flashlight and one backup.
- Weapon cleaning equipment.
- BDU type pants with cargo pockets.
- Baseball cap.
- Body armor.
- Laptop and flashdrive.
- 1000 rounds for rifle
- 10 dummy rifle rounds
- 200 rounds duty pistol
- Rain poncho/parka.
- Water bottle.
- Knee pads.
- Elbow pads.
Course Material: A link to the manual and the course materials will be given when accepted to class, four weeks prior.
Pre-requisite: Handgun Level One #2011
- The firearms program will be utilizing the program HP Flow to help in the distribution of course documents. Students will receive links one week prior to the class start date. It is the students responsibility to have the manual available to them by either printing the manual or downloading to a computer.
- A shooting test will be administered by a qualified Firearms Instructor of your choice who has successfully completed Level One Handgun Instructors within three years or a Level One Handgun Instructor who has attended an update if their certification is older than three years.
- Click here for the 25 yard qual required for entrance
- Click here for the 50 yard qual required for entrance
- Click here for the skill manipulation required to pass course
- Students are required to submit the following information with your application (either on-line or on the paper application):
- Make of patrol rifle.
- Model of patrol rifle.
- Caliber of patrol rifle.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Cost: $500 Applicants agency provides ammunition.
Recertification: Patrol Rifle Instructor Recertification Course #2024, is 8 hours in length and should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- Deadline: 7 Days prior to the first day of class. Send cancellations to
- FEE: $500 for “No Shows”, late cancellations, and failure to pass the entrance qualification.
- 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
Application Form: Firearms Application
Submit Applications to:
Course, Program, or Policy Questions:
||Start & End Date
||August 17 -21, 2015
||Tacoma Police Department Firing Range
101 McMurray Road NE
|Open / $500
Non-Cancelled "No Shows" will be charged $500
||September 14 -18, 2015
||3230 Twin Bridges Road, Richland, 99354
|Open / $500
Non-Cancelled "no shows" will be charged $500