Firearms Shotgun Instructor, Course #2013
This Shotgun Instructor course is designed for the officer who already exhibits above average shotgun shooting and manipulation skills and will give him the knowledge and techniques to better transfer those skills to other officers. This course is NOT an advanced shotgun operators course NOR is it a remedial shotgun training course for officers with poor shotgun skills. Applicants who fail the prerequisite entry range skills test will be removed from the class on the morning of the first day and charged the full course tuition fee.
This class is 32 hours in length. Graduates will be able to teach correct manipulation and firing of the police shotgun.
Subjects covered include:
- Methods of carry.
- Immediate action drills.
- Select munitions drills.
- Weapon modifications and accessories.
- Types of munitions.
- Sizing the shotgun to the shooter.
- Target engagement from 3 to 100 yards.
After successful completion, students will receive a CJTC Shotgun Instructor certification that will be valid for 3 years; to maintain the instructor certification, students must complete a 16 hour Shotgun Instructor Recertification Course every 3 years.
REQUIRED equipment for EACH student:
- Agency-issued/approved shotgun pump or semi-auto, with sling and side saddle or other spare ammunition storage device capable of being attached to the weapon. All applicants should bring a duplicate spare shotgun.
- Dummy training shotgun with sling (red or blue -ASP or Ring's).
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with minimum of 3 magazines.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun).
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing).
- Hearing protection - electronic headphones and earplugs.
- Copy of your agency's firearms policies.
- One duty flashlight and one backup.
- Weapon cleaning equipment.
- BDU type pants with cargo pockets.
- Baseball cap.
- Body armor.
- Laptop and flashdrive.
- 10 dummy shotgun rounds.
- 500 rounds of 00 Buckshot (reduced recoil recommended for pumps).
- 250 slug rounds.
- 50 rounds of practice ammo for duty pistol.
The following equipment is recommended:
- Rain poncho/parka.
- Water bottle.
- Knee pads.
- Elbow pads.
- A shooting test will be administered by a qualified Firearms Instructor of your choice who has successfully completed Level One Handgun Instructors within three years or a Level One Handgun Instructor who has attended an update if their certification is older than three years.
- The firearms program will be utilizing the program HP Flow to help in the distribution of course documents. Students will receive links one week prior to the class start date. It is the students responsibility to have the manual available to them by either printing the manual or downloading to a computer.
Prerequisite: Must have completed the WSCJTC Level I Handgun Course #2011.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Recertification: Shotgun Instructor Recertification Course #2024, is 8 hours in length and should be attended within 3 years of last certification.
- FEE: $400 for “No Shows”, late cancellations, and failure to pass the entrance qualification.
- Four days 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Please see below for dates and locations
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
How To Apply:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
Questions: Contact LMS Help Desk |
Course, Program or Policy Questions:
Mike O’Neill |
Revised March 2016
||Start & End Date
||August 08 -11, 2016
||Spokane Police Training Center
2302 North Waterworks
Spokane WA 99212