This course is directed toward Law Enforcement Officers recently assigned to a specialized SWAT or emergency response team. This course will provide the participants with an understanding of contemporary theories and concepts used during Law Enforcement tactical operations. Team building exercises will be conducted and participants will participate in several exercises designed to develop techniques and strategies employed during tactical operations. Participants will gain practical experience operating as a member of a team during practical and scenario based field exercises designed to develop both individual and team tactics. Participants will gain practical experience planning, developing & executing missions. Upon completion of this course participants will possess the fundamental knowledge and skills to function in the various positions required of a SWAT team member.
Class Size: 50 Maximum
Organization: Classroom lecture & demonstrations are followed-up with practical field exercises. Students will be placed into teams for field exercises.
Dates: Presented 2X annually, generally in the spring and fall.
Course Length: 65 Hours, 6 days with some evening exercises.
- Current member of a SWAT team.
- Proficient with intermediate rifle or (SMG) and handgun.
- Must also meet WASPC Physical Fitness standards to gain entry to the course:
- 35 push ups,
- 35 sit-ups,
- 6 pull-ups,
- and complete 1.5 mile run in 12:30 or less.
Lead instructor: Sgt. Wayne DuBois – Richland Police Department / President WSTOA
Instructors: WSTOA SWAT Instructor Cadre
- Introduce students to SWAT Theory & Concepts in order to gain an understanding of SWAT utilization during Law Enforcement tactical operations.
- Provide a thorough understanding of Team Structure & the responsibilities of each position within the Team.
- Introduction to the specialized equipment and munitions used by SWAT Teams.
- Provide a thorough understanding of Team Tactics used during barricaded suspect and high risk warrant service missions.
- Provide an introduction to developing a proper Operational Plan & the necessity of after-action reviews.
- Case Law & Tactical Mindset
- Team building exercises
- Weapons safety
- Chemical agents & APR’s
- Handgun range
- Rifle/subgun range
- Scouting & raid planning
- 11.Immediate action drills
- 12.Mission, tactics, & techniques
- 13.Covert entry
- 14.Slow & methodical entry
- 15.Dynamic entry
- 16.Vehicle rescues
- 17.Shield rescues
- 18.Armored vehicle rescues
- 19.Arrest team tactics
- 20.Incident debrief & barricaded suspect overview
Grading: Students will be required to pass a written examination at the conclusion of this course (80% minimum)
Required Supplies: Mission deployment equipment;
- Entry Vest
- Tactical Uniform
- Rifle/SMG + (3) magazines, & 500 rounds of ammunition
- Handgun + (3) magazines, & 500 rounds of ammunition
- Eye and hearing protection
- APR (Gas Mask)
- PT gear
Rules of Conduct:
- 100% attendance required, (emergency situations will be reviewed on a case by case basis).
- Students may be immediately removed from this course for unsafe gun handling or negligent discharge of a firearm
Dress Code & Identification:
Visitors attending training at WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus. If you are not wearing agency identification, you will be asked to check in at the front desk and will be provided with a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Cost: $600, Non-cancelled no-shows OR students failing the PAT will be charged the full course fee.
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.
Revised August 2017
How To Apply:
Online Registration-LMS (Only agency authorized personnel can access this tool. Contact your Training Manager on your local procedures).
Out of State Personnel/Military: Application
Questions: Contact LMS Help Desk |
Course, Program or Policy Questions:
Firearms Program Manager