L.E.E.D. Justice Based Policing Essentials is the 8 hour offering of our 40 hour Justice Based Policing Course.
Historically, justice based policing principles have not been a strong enough focus in the total training of police officers. Rather than adding another layer of training and mandates to current practices, Justice-Based Policing can be easily and logically integrated into everything we do by following the four basic principles represented by the
The acronym was developed by Sheriff Sue Rahr as a practical way for officers to understand and apply the concepts of justice based policing. The LEED model stands for -- Listen and Explain with Equity and Dignity.
- Listen - Allow people to give their side of the story; give them a voice and let them vent.
- Explain - Explain what you're doing, what they can do and what's goign t happen.
- Equity - Tell them why you are taking action. The reason must be fair and free of bias, and show their input was taken into consideration.
- Dignity - Act with dignity and leave them with their dignity.
The goal of this course is for officers to understand the core concepts of police Legitimacy and Procedural Justice in order to build better relationships within the communities that they serve and as part of their professional work environment. This course will be a train the trainer that allows the officers to take the information and lessons they develop back to their agencies to use in roll call or department training efforts.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visible Agency official ID is recommended (badges / agency IDs) while on campus.
- Off Campus classes may have dress requirements in the student instructions.
Who can attend our classes?
- Currently employed certified Peace Officers in the State of Washington
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Days vary
- Dates and locations listed below.
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
(7) seven days prior to class.
- Fee: $50
There is no test for this class.
|Priority of Acceptance
If submitting more than one application, mark each one in the order you’d like them accepted.
This is a required field in WSCJTC LMS Online registration.
WSCJTC Application Form (Word)
WSCJTC Application Form (PDF)
Class is available for online registration through WSCJTC LMS.
WSJCTC LMS Online Registration
| Course, Program and Policy Questions
Glenda Coms, Registrar