This all-day training is a “refresher” class for WA State law enforcement, CPS, prosecutors and child interviewers who have previously attended the 3 - 5 day “Child Abuse Interviewing and Assessment” or “Child Abuse Investigation and Interviewing” courses (CJTC course # 5357) sponsored by the WA State Criminal Justice Training Commission (CJTC), DSHS and the Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence.
It will be taught by CJTC Child Abuse Program Manager Patti Toth and Laura Merchant, Assistant Director of Harborview’s Center for Sexual Assault & Traumatic Stress. It will review and reinforce research-based best practices in child forensic interviewing and discuss recent modifications to the WA State Child Interview Guide (which will be provided to all attendees). Specific topics will include:
- Changes in recommendations regarding truth-lie discussions.
- Interview instructions (or 'ground rules').
- Narrative event practice.
Note: This is a follow-up class to CJTC course #5357 and does not fully satisfy the RCW 43.101.234 requirement for specialized child interview training for those who investigate child sexual abuse crimes.
Prerequisite: Course #5357 "Child Abuse Interviewing and Assessment".
- Deadline: If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to cancel the application, you must notify the Registrar via email
- Fee: $100 for Mandated / $500 for Non-Mandated.
Dress Code & Identification:
- Uniforms, agency logo clothing or business casual attire is appropriate for classroom wear.
- Visible Agency official ID is recommended (badges / agency IDs) while on campus.
***Is this class full or not available???? Please complete the Course Interest Survey. Please Note: This is not a waiting list. You will not be contacted by WSCJTC unless there is enough interest to generate a class being scheduled. At that time we will contact everyone that has shown interest so that applications can be submitted.