Add WSCJTC to your favorites

Main Directory

A | A

What is LEOSA?

It is a program that allows the issuing of firearms ID cards to residents of Washington State who are qualified retired/separated law enforcement officers. Retired/separated officers need not have worked in Washington State but must be residents here in order to apply.  Military Police in the U.S. Armed Forces that had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension authority are also eligible. Civilian police officers that worked for the Department of Defense are also eligible. Once you earn your LEOSA certification it is valid for one year. To maintain your certification you must renew it each year.

The Federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA - 18USC926C) authorizes retired and separated law enforcement officers nationwide to carry concealed weapons throughout the country. To qualify, retired officers must (1) be retired or separated in good standing as a law enforcement officer for reasons other than mental instability; (2) prior to retirement have been authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law; (3) prior to retirement have had the statutory powers of arrest; (4) have served at least 10 years; (5) not be prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm; and (6) qualify annually with the weapon they are carrying. To read more about LEOSA please visit the Washington Association of Sheriff’s & Police Chiefs (WASPC) website's LEOSA page

How do I get a LEOSA Certification?

You have three options:

  1. Select a date from our website schedule to obtain your LEOSA certification through the WSCJTC
  2. Contact the agency you retired from and inquire if they do LEOSA certifications
  3. Select a certified instructor from our  PS Certified Firearms Instructor Directory (4/2014) and have them administer the handgun qualification (cost may vary).<