Add WSCJTC to your favorites

Main Directory

A | A

The Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission does not sponsor, provide training, or course material for the safety training that is necessary under I-1639 for an individual who is interested in the purchase of a semiautomatic assault rifle.


Any instructors associated with the WSCJTC who choose to provide this training are not sponsored or endorsed by the WSCJTC to provide any "Firearms Safety Training" as listed in I-1639 Section 3(a) and Section 6(vi) - or any sections pertaining to training for this initiative.

As of February 28, 2019 the Firearms Certificate Program staff will be available by appointment only. Due to the responsibility of multiple programs, we are not always available. Email is always the first line of communication at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . We will work diligently to respond to all of your needs.


Private Security, Private Investigator, and Bail Bond Recovery Agent Firearms Certificate

Welcome to the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Private Security, Private Investigator, and Bail Bond Recovery Agent Firearms Certificate Page. You must have a Firearms Certificate in order to obtain an Armed License from the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL). The WSCJTC is mandated to issue Firearms Certificates per RCW and WAC.



How to get your Firearms Certificate:

  1. Apply at the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) for your Armed License.

  2. Attend an 8-hour Firearms Certificate Training Class using one of our PS Certified Instructors (Last updated January 4, 2019)

    1. Complete the 8-hour training course

    2. Complete the written test

    3. Complete your firearm qualification for EACH firearm you carry while working (including long arms, if applicable).

  3. Your agency/company must send a complete application packet to WSCJTC for your Firearms Certificate with the $100 fee. WSCJTC only accepts check or money order for payment. Written tests and firearm qualifications are good for only 6 months.

  4. Once your application is processed your company will receive your Firearms Certificate by email. The DOL accesses our Firearms Certificates database and they will check that database before issuing the armed license.


If you are interested in becoming or currently are a PS Certified Firearms Instructor click here for our Instructors Page.


Termination, resignation, and transfers:

  • When an employee transfers from one agency to another, the Agency Transfer Paperwork is only valid if it is submitted within 30 days from leaving the prior company.

  • If over 30 days have passed, an Initial Firearms Certificate Application Packet will need to be submitted.
  • If an employee leaves your company and comes back within 30 days, submit the 721E form with the applicable firearm qualification.
  • If you have an employee who is no longer working armed, has resigned, or has been terminated, please click here to report this information to us.



  • Armed Licenses will not be completed without a Firearms Certificate from the WSCJTC on file. Visit the DOL page for licensing information using the “List of Licenses” tab on their website.

  • All firearms used while working are owned or leased by the company you work for.
  • For an overview of the 8 hour and 4 hour certification training, please click here.
  • No Firearms Certificates are issued to individuals who are not employed by a PS/PI/or BBRA company.
  • If you are a sole proprietor, DBA a private investigator or bail bond recovery agent, or a security company principal, you can complete and sign the Firearms Certificate application packet(s) for your company.
  • Firearms Certificates are not for personal carry and are not concealed pistol licenses (CPL).

  • Please consult our Instructor Director to find an instructor on this list that is closest to your area to set up a date with them to take the 8-hour training course.

  • Instructors charge their own fees for the training and testing. All the forms and test Study Guide are in the Applications & Forms section below.

  • Only send your complete application packet AFTER you have taken the 8-hour training course.


If you are a Fully Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer and would like to apply for your firearms certificate, please click here.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can a Firearms Certificate be used by more than one company?

No. If you work for more than one company, you will need a Firearms Certificate for each company. Firearms Certificates cannot be shared between companies, because firearms used while working are owned or leased by the company you work for per RCW. (To read more about this requirement please click on the RCW links: RCW 18.170.050 2 and RCW 18.165.060 2).

I have Firearms Certificate already and want to add a weapon to my record. How do I do this?

Complete and send in an Add/Change Form (Form 721) along with a copy of your most recent qualification on this new weapon. There is no fee for adding a weapon. We will add the new weapon to your existing record in our database. The forms are available below.

Does CJTC have a walk-up counter or allow walk-ins?
If you would like to speak to someone in-person about your firearms certificate application, you must reach out via email and make an appointment with us. We have limited office hours and appointments are required for in-person assistance.

I hired an employee who has a Firearms Certificate with another company do I have to pay the full application packet fee of $100?

No. If the employee is only working for your company and has no break in service from the other company, you can complete and send in an Add/Change Form (Form 721) along with a copy of their most recent firearm qualification(s) and we can transfer the existing Firearms Certificate to your company. There is no fee for adding or changing an existing record.

Yes. If the employee left the other company years ago, and then came to work for you or they are currently working for more than one company, you will be required to send in a full application packet and pay the fee.

Do I send my fingerprint information to the WSCJTC?

No. Do not send any fingerprint information to the WSCJTC. Fingerprinting is processed by the Department of Licensing (DOL), please visit this website for more information.

What am I supposed to do to renew my (or my employees) armed license each year?

You will need to contact the DOL directly for information about renewing your armed license.

What am I supposed to do to renew my (or my employees) Firearms Certificate each year?

Once you obtain your initial Armed Certificate you do not need to send us any notification unless you need to add or change a firearm to an existing Firearms Certificate record. To renew, you need to contact a PS Certified Firearms Instructor from the list below and set up a date and time to have your employee take the 4 hour renewal course. Once your employee completes it, the instructor sends us a roster of who attended. Your agency keeps the paperwork and test scores, do not send anything to the WSCJTC for renewals. New armed certificates are NOT issued for Renewals.

My company address and contact details have changed, how do I notify the WSCJTC of the change?

Complete the Agency Update on the 721 Form listed below. A 721 form is sent in for you and every employee to update the active Firearms Certificates on file. There is no fee for an agency update.


Applications & Forms

*New* Effective August 1, 2018 – The new application forms listed below will be the only forms accepted for Firearms Certificates. If outdated forms are received agencies will be notified that application packet materials are not accepted and will not be processed.

Fee increases have been postponed until a state budget has been passed.

Please note: WSCJTC will no longer be providing the Form 731 Written Test before your 4 hour or 8 hour certification. The test will only be available through your instructor. You may find a blank answer sheet here.

Initial Firearms Certificate Application Packet

Form 726 Initial Firearms Certificate Application Packet (contains all the forms you need to mail in with the fee except the written test)

Agency Transfer Packet
Form 721A Agency Transfer Packet (contains all the forms you need to fill out and email to us)

Add/Change Firearm(s) Packet
Form 721B Add/Change Firearm(s) Packet (contains all the forms you need to fill out and email to us)

Agency Address Change Form
Form 721C Agency Address Change (only this form is needed)

Employee Profile Change Form
Form 721D Employee Profile Change (only this form is needed)

Returning Employee Packet
Form 721E Returning Employee Packet (contains all the forms you need to fill out and email to us)

WSCJTC Firearms Certificate Study Guide (Last updated September 27, 2018)

PS Certified Instructor Forms


Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Info Form 720A

Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Form


Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Request Form 720

Brief Adjudicative Proceeding Form


Class Roster Form 727 to be used by Instructors for Firearms Certificate Training
Form 727 Instructor Roster

Firearms Certificate Instructor Complaint Form

Form PS03 Firearms Certificate Program Complaint Form

For Individual forms, qualification sheets, and Microsoft Word Versions, please click here.

To view the Peace Officer Certification Hearing Schedule & Information click here.

Does your agency use or is looking to use off-duty law enforcement for Private Security company work? If so, read the Off-Duty Private Security Agency Work In Washington (and Sworn Officer Flow Chart 7/2013) for information regarding rules.

If you would like to have access for your company to WSCJTC's Learning Management System (LMS), please click here to fill out the form.

Interested in receiving a quarterly newsletter from the WSCJTC staff about Private Security? Click here to submit your email.

If you would like to view our quarterly newsletters, or the recap, and PowerPoint presentations from our Armed Professionals Meetings in July 2018, click here.

Still have questions? Please contact
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


Revised November 2018