Washington State

Office of the Attorney General

Attorney General

Bob Ferguson

The Attorney General’s Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance can help you obtain civil legal assistance. Please read the following information before completing and submitting the form below.


The Attorney General’s Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance (OMVLA) can connect volunteer attorneys and civil legal assistance programs to qualifying military service members and veterans who need help with select civil legal issues.

Am I eligible?

An individual is eligible to request assistance from OMVLA if the individual (or spouse):

  • Is currently serving or formerly served in any branch of the military (active duty, Reserves, or National Guard);
  • Is domiciled or stationed in Washington State;
  • Has income at or below 400% of the federal poverty guidelines;
  • Is not otherwise represented by or able to pay for a private attorney; and
  • Is seeking assistance with a civil legal matter (as opposed to a criminal matter).
How do I request civil legal assistance?

Eligible individuals looking for help connecting to civil legal assistance should complete and submit the “Request for Civil Legal Assistance” form below.

The form is also available in alternate formats by submitting a request by email (preferred) to OMVLA@atg.wa.gov or by mail at the following address:

Washington State Attorney General’s Office
Attn: Office of Military & Veteran Legal Assistance
800 5th Ave, Suite 2000, TB-14
Seattle, WA 98104-3188

Because the Attorney General’s Office is a public entity, information included on the request form may be subject to public disclosure pursuant to the state’s Public Records Act. We suggest not including any information beyond what is necessary to understanding the nature of the legal issue for which you are seeking assistance.

If you have any questions about the form, please feel free to call OMVLA at (206) 464-6431.

Even if you think you may not be eligible, you may still contact OMVLA with a question or concern. The office cannot provide you with legal advice or representation, but may be able to offer some general information and resources to help you.

What happens after I submit a request for civil legal assistance?

After receiving the request form, OMVLA staff will evaluate your eligibility for, and the availability of, civil legal assistance resources. You can expect to receive an acknowledgement of your request within 3 business days after OMVLA receives it. OMVLA staff may follow up to request additional information if necessary.

If the eligibility criteria is met, OMVLA staff will help you to obtain services from a civil legal assistance program or volunteer attorneys. Volunteer attorneys are not obligated to accept case referrals and OMVLA may make multiple referrals as needed. OMVLA cannot guarantee representation or that you will be provided legal services.

If a volunteer attorney cannot be identified within 30 days of receipt of your request, you will be notified and provided information about other potential resources.

Who will represent me?

Under state law, the Attorney General’s Office is prohibited from directly providing legal advice or representation to individuals. Instead, OMVLA works to help connect individuals seeking legal assistance with attorneys and civil legal assistance programs.

OMVLA attempts to match individuals requesting assistance with civil legal assistance programs and volunteer attorneys by legal issue area, geography, and other factors.

OMVLA volunteer attorneys are licensed members of the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) authorized to practice law in Washington State. WSBA is the entity with the responsibility for regulating and disciplining lawyers.

When facilitating representation, the Attorney General’s Office assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of registered volunteer attorneys. Helping connect individuals to legal assistance does not constitute the Attorney General’s endorsement or recommendation of a particular program or attorney.

What is required of me?

Civil legal aid programs and attorneys registered to volunteer with OMVLA provide free legal assistance services. Depending on the nature of the legal issue, you may be expected to pay other expenses related to the matter, which could include filing fees, costs for service of process, copying charges, and other miscellaneous costs. This is something you can speak with the volunteer attorney or civil legal aid program about in more detail.

You are also expected to cooperate fully with the volunteer attorney and make yourself reasonably accessible for communication and appointments.

A civil legal aid organization or volunteer attorney will also likely request that you sign a “Legal Services Agreement” that, among other things, details the scope of the services they will provide and the conditions under which the representation will terminate.

* Starred fields are required in order to process your request.
Individual Requesting Assistance
*Contact e-mail address:
*Confirm e-mail address:
Household / Family Size:
Household Income: $  
Is your income likely to change significantly in the near future? If yes, please explain:
Service Branch:
Military Status:
Rank / Grade:
Approx. Date of Separation (if applicable):
Open the calendar popup.
Do you have a DD-214 (or equivalent)?  
Legal Issue
What is the general nature of your legal issue? Please note that the availability of assistance may vary based on the legal issue.
Other (please specify):
Please briefly describe the legal issue:
What person or business do you have the legal issue with? List the full name(s):
Declaration and Signature
By submitting this form, I authorize the Washington State Attorney General’s Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance to communicate with and provide information related to my request to civil legal assistance programs and volunteer attorneys registered with the office.

I declare, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of Washington, that the information contained in this request is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and recollection.

  • By selecting “YES,” I acknowledge that I have read and understand the information preceding this form regarding the Attorney General’s Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance, the eligibility criteria, and the process for requesting civil legal assistance.

  • By selecting “YES,” I acknowledge my understanding that the Attorney General’s Office does not provide direct legal advice or representation to private individuals, but instead works to connect those requesting assistance to civil legal aid programs and volunteer attorneys willing to perform pro bono legal services.

  • By selecting “YES,” I acknowledge my understanding that this request for civil legal assistance does not guarantee representation or constitute an agreement to provide legal services, and, if my request for assistance is accepted, I agree to cooperate fully and be reasonably accessible for communication with any volunteer attorney.

  • By selecting “YES,” I acknowledge that my request for assistance, once submitted, becomes a public record and may be disclosed to others in response to a Public Records Request.
*Declared this date:


If you have any questions about this form or want more information, please contact the Attorney General's Office of Military & Veteran Legal Assistance:
Phone: 206-464-6431
Email: OMVLA@atg.wa.gov