(1) Washington State is divided into two State Plane zones, north and south. The data set's coordinate values are reported in Washington State Plane south.
(2) Imagery was acquired during periods of maximum intertidal exposure (0 -- mean lower low water or below in most areas), and times when sun angle would reduce sun glint.
(3) This dataset was generalized from the raster Intertidal Vegetation Inventory 1995. The purpose of generalization was to provide a vector-based version of the dataset with a manageable file size.
(4) For overview of source dataset see metadata for Intertidal Vegetation Inventory 1995, Whatcom County Area, Washington.
(5) Detailed documentation of methods used to create the nearshore vegetation data set can be found in Berry & Ritter (1997).
Berry, H.D. and R.A. Ritter. 1997. Puget Sound Intertidal Habitat
Inventory 1995: Vegetation and Shoreline Characteristics
Classification Methods. Washington State Department of Natural
Resources, Aquatic Resources Division.
Borstad, G. (1996). The Nearshore Habitat Inventory Project Task
7: Project Summary Memorandum. Unpublished report prepared by
Borstad Associates Ltd. for Washington State Department of
Natural Resources, Aquatic Resources Division, Olympia,
The Intertidal Vegetation Inventory attribute codes can be related to classification categories using the separate IVEG_CD table (available from the distributer of this data in dbf format). The following fields are included:
IVEG_NAME: description of vegetation type
VALUE: numeric code identifying vegetation type classification
GRID-CODE: numeric code field created by ARC/INFO identifying
vegetation type classification (same as VALUE
IVEG_CD: three letter code identifying vegetation type